Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 1 7th Grade Cont.

We are now at Isaac's school, and he refuses to get out of the car. Luckily he sees the campus police standing at the entrance of the school.  With a lot of coercing Isaac is out of the car. Here we go walking arm in arm up to the school. Once we get inside he starts to freeze up, the only way he is continuing to walk is because I am pulling him along. All of the teacher and staff are so friendly. They are all greeting us and trying their hardest to get Isaac to talk to them and go with them so that I can leave. If only the vice principal would've listened better at the meetings.

We had a few different meetings before school started to try and prevent this. I just needed someone to stay with Isaac and a room for him to go to in the morning. The quicker I can leave the school the better off he is. Why don't these people understand what I tell them. Now we are standing in the hallways waiting for the students to be dismissed to their classes, just standing, frozen. Finally, the staff is done handing out schedules and the students are dismissed to their classes.

We walk to the office in hopes that the counselor or someone can help take Isaac so that I do not have to walk down the hallway with him to his class. Still no help. The vice principal tries to talk Isaac into walking with him to the class and letting me leave. Yeah right, I guess he didn't listen to me during the meetings. Here we go walking down to Isaac's first class, Pre-Ap math.

What a long walk it is, all the way at the end of the hall. Why does this have to be such a fight? I tell the VP, " if you can just keep him in this empty classroom so that I can leave it will be better." So, he goes to Isaac's class and pulls out a student and introduces him to Isaac thinking that this will help get Isaac into class. Funny! Just as I knew,  this didn't work. VP gets a call and he leaves, guess his meeting is more important. Luckily a different teacher of Isaac's comes in and was helping get him in the room. Lots of talking, pushing, pulling, and trying to convince him to get inside.  After all this, the only thing that gets Isaac inside is telling him that I will stay with him all day. His English teacher took him in the class and sat with him at the back of the room while I went to talk to the VP to make sure it was O.K. Unfortunately this was a convincing story that I told him. I wish it was true, but it worked. He went in his classroom and I left crying, and feeling horrible about the story I just told.

I go home, drink lots of coffee, and wonder how he's doing. The counselor calls me a few hours later to tell me me he is doing great. He is switching classes with a smile on his face. Whew, I feel much better.
Isaac had a wonderful first day of school. He loves his teachers, his classes, and the school. Thank God!!! What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment